Virtual learning platforms
From California Technology Feestival Wiki
Choosing a Platform
- test content compatibility with platform
- What do users have to download to tune in?
- How strong on an internet connection do users need? How likely is your intended audience to have that strong of connection?
- Audio stability testing
- Computer compatibility (Mac, Windows, Linux)
- Testing script to make sure you can do what you want, before buying
- Language Accessibility – pre & post emails in other languages?
Setting Learning Goals
- How is the learning enhanced by live online participation?
- Promote who is highlighted or presenting– tag people in tweets
- what makes it better than a video/podcast?
- Ask people what they want to know? before & during
Promotion & Outreach
- use exciting buzz words to promote (ecosystems words work in other contexts)
- Try different times & days for the webinars, iterate on what works
- Prep materials to engage with people i.e. Try it! Read it! Chance to ask questions!
- Huge reach (lots of followers, lots of fans, large email lists) really help
- Best as a part of a larger campaign – fit into a larget context, not just one off
- Advanced notice & good timing for content are key
- Use social media – tag people
- Ask people what they want to learn
- S.A.V.I. Learning – Somatic (physical, doing), Auditory, Visual, Intellectual (lecture)
- Presenters MUST have personality!
- Compelling topics – people stories
- Ask people to generate questions while you present
- Instruct to come with questions – “bring 2 & get at least 1 answered”
- End with a call to action, can be effective
- What if we keep it short, like TED? 15 mins... experiment
- Send people away with links & activities then let them come back... experiment
- Triple Tell 'em – Tell 'em what you are going to tell 'em, Tell 'em, Tell 'em what you told 'em
- Value add interactive piece
- Not so good for “how to use tools” - youtube videos work for that
- Share links & resources through out
- Get feedback! What worked?
- Send recording & survey
- Survey upon exit
- Include polling throughout presentation
- Send materials
- Assessment testing for effectiveness