Organizing with youth Fresno 2018
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 21:00, 21 June 2018 by Josh (Created page with "==Meaningfully Engaging Youth== ===What does organizing youth means?=== * Giving them the confidence * Making the connection why the topic is important. * Allowing youth to c...")
Meaningfully Engaging Youth
What does organizing youth means?
- Giving them the confidence
- Making the connection why the topic is important.
- Allowing youth to choose the topics they want to advocate for.
- Making them aware that this is their life/future. Making them accountable.
- Empower them to believe their voice carries weight.
What are our struggles with connecting with youth?
- Change the culture - youth and adults have to be held accountable.
- Come back and debrief with youth and employees.
- Don’t allow your work to become a checklist.
Who does it mean to be a youth mentor?
- Mentors can be unofficial. Someone can inspire and give you a healthy space unofficially through words, hearing you and/or example.
- We don’t always realize how someone impacted us until we reflect back.
- It’s important to always move like a mentor because you never know who’s soaking in your energy.
- Invest in the parents/guardians as much as the youth.