Movement for People in Tech
From California Technology Feestival Wiki
facilitated by Laura Bernasconi
- Try not to sit in one place for more than an hour at a time (at the very most) without getting up and moving around or stretching.
- Sit with feet flat on the floor and feel the energy from the earth.
- In this relaxed seated position, close your eyes and feel a wave of relaxation coming from the tips of your toes to the top of your head.
- Take time to breathe and check in with yourself.
- From a hunched position, breathe yourself up to good posture; don't try to force it by pushing your shoulders back, which is as bad as hunching.
- Gently tap areas of tension.
- If you frequently notice your hands and feet are cold even when the rest of your body is warm, try adding fresh ginger and cayenne to your diet. This will also be helped by the exercises below.
Feeling your chi
- Rub your palms together quickly with your wrists near your torso.
- Fingers can be intertwined or pushed away from each other.
- After you've rubbed them together for some time, pull them apart and feel the magnetic pull of the chi bringing your hands back together.
- Now touch, rub, or tap areas of pain or tension to send healing energy there.
Rubbing your ears
- In Chinese acupuncture and acupressure, all parts of the body can be reached through the ear.
- After focusing chi in your hands with the exercise above, gently pinch and tug your ear lobes with your thumb and forefinger.
- Pull your ears straight out away from your head.
- Rub the area of the fold behind your ears (the part your parents told you to wash)
Rubbing your stomach
- First focus energy in your hands using the exercise above.
- Use one hand or both (one on top of the other) and rub in a circular, clockwise motion.
- This follows the direction of the large intestine and will aid in digestion.
Rubbing your feet
- Again, rub your hands together first and feel your chi.
- Rub in the direction from your ankle to the tips of your toes.
- Shake off the bad energy from the tips of your fingers.
- Rub between your toes as well.
- Notice the instant different in color between your feet after you rub the first foot.