How to write a profile Fresno 2018
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Pre-interview: talk to them before the formal interview
- Don’t be rigid, let the convo flow
- Let them guide the conversation, don’t influence them
- Record only if you have permission (once recording is on, ask again to get it on camera/audio)
- Direct quotes are needed!
- Don’t be afraid of silence
- Don’t ask yes or no questions
- Use “Can you tell me more about...”
- Even if you know their story, let them tell it.
- Use ice breakers to make interviewee more comfortable
- If they ask for questions in advance, don’t give them the entire whole question. Just hints or topics
- Be a person first, a reporter second.
Writing the profile:
- The Lede
- Grab your audiences attention
- Set the scene
- Don’t give away your stories “surprise”
- Sometimes leave the Lede for last, write the story first and then you’ll know
- SAFETY FIRST - protect identity of your subject if they request it