Agenda Brainstorm Sticky Notes
From California Technology Feestival Wiki
- 1 Rural Areas
- 2 Promotory Marketing
- 3 Mobile
- 4 Project Management
- 5 Contact Managment
- 6 Open Source
- 7 Security & Privacy
- 8 Resources
- 9 Outreach
- 10 Mission Oriented Tech
- 11 Time Management
- 12 Audience
- 13 Youth Programs
- 14 Fundraising
- 15 Online Data Organization
- 16 Fundraising Technology
- 17 Evaluation
- 18 Funding
- 19 Data
- 20 Collaboration
- 21 Social Media
- 22 Listening Dashboards
- 23 Software & Tech Support
- 24 Volunteers
- 25 Web Hosting & ISPs
- 26 Online Tools
- 27 Web Development
- 28 Bilingual Sites
- 29 Websites
- 30 User-friendly & accessible websites
- 31 Blogs
- 32 Content Management
- 33 Storytelling
- What's the best tech suit of tools to overcome the “digital divide” rural communities with only mobile phones, etc.?
- How to spread technology to rural areas?
- Is traditional radio still relevant? If so, how?
- How can we make the web “smaller” e.g. locally relevant?
- How do I promote my content?
- How do I improve visibility of my organization via technology & in-person?
- How do I speak to constituents and potential interested parties to promote my work?
- How do I get my video to go viral?
- What developments are happening in pro-poor mobile technology?
- What mobile apps are helpful for NPOs?
- How can SMS/ text messaging be used for campaigns?
- What are the best tools for managing multiple projects in an intuitive, visual way?
- What is basecamp & how to use it?
- How can I go about developing a tech plan that is fully integrated into our model of advocacy & growth?
- What are some low-cost, easy to use PROJECT MANAGEMENT tools? (besides microsoft products...)
- How can I best plan for long-term maintenance of my wordpress, but partially custom coded website?
- How do low-capacity orgs do online comms effectively.
- A contact management system that is easy to use, go off/online & not break the bank?
- How do we balance technology-based organizing with face-to-face organizing?
- How do they compliment each other?
- How do you encourage amplifying your message thru your network?
- How do you choose a CRM?
- Is there a free/cheaper replacement for SugarSync to back up and sync my work & home computers? both macs
- How does Salesforce & CiviCRM differ in terms of support? (what are key differences?)
- We need to implement a better contact management system
- What are reasonable ways for nonprofits to adopt open source software NOW?
- What alternatives are there to corporate software/ hardware?
- How can we reduce our reliance on corporate tech that might not have our best interests in mind?
Security & Privacy
- How can nonprofits assess & respond to their security & privacy risks?
- What are best practices regarding security for data & website?
- Net Security: Where to take action/ where to know its no big deal?
- assessing your organization's security risk
- How do we secure our online assets so that there is security in case of disaster, theft, etc.?
- How much info. about your organization should you put out there?
- Intersections of online surveillance and real time (security camera) surveillance
- How do I privatize/ secure personal information?
- How can we safely discuss piracy with teens & adults
- How to talk about scary tech and security issues with out inciting fear
- What services do people need? (Both tech and design services.)
- Where to find good resources for cheap tech?
- What tech tools can convey complex info to non-experts, replace or substitute for dense text instruction
- How to find a good balance between exploring new tech and maintaining your current tech tools & platforms?
- Whats being done in low income computer training?
- What blogs/websites do organizations use as their newsfeed?
- Is there a place where nonprofits can share resources?
- How can we make effective online resources for nonprofits?
- How do we encourage wider adoption of social media tools with people who don't see the value?
- What are the basics that an under-resourced community org. should know in developing a tech outreach strategy? (tech communication 101)
- How do you build a following for nonprofit profiles i.e. twitter, instagram..
- How do you reach community memebers through tech who do not have readily available access to it?
Mission Oriented Tech
- How much technology should be part of your overall mission?
- How to get your 40 hr work week and still have a presence on social media?
- How do you find the time to do AB testing, analytics for email, web & social media campaigns?
- How to do an event like this in 6 hours?
- How are other people navigating the difference between organizational & personal websites?
- What are cool things to do on a personal/social justice site?
- How can youth media organizations keep youth involved?
- How can youth media groups in different areas work together? and communicate?
- How do other programs get youth engaged in “our” program
- How do you keep kids involved after a project?
- What makes a successful youth media group?
- How hard is it to file a freedom of information request?
- How do various community organizations find grants?
- How to find long-term funding streams?
- How important is kickstarter/indiegogo?
- What are some good RSS feeds nonprofits need to get on?
- How do I finance a complex website in phases/stages?
- Funding for my project/cause?
- Comparison of crowdfunding platforms?
- What funding resources are available for my project/cause?
- New and inventive ways to fundraise for what you're passionate about
Online Data Organization
- How do you determine what outlet to use for different types of content?
- How are organizations using web analytics?
- How can we integrate silos of information across different departments and functions into a single system deeply and easily?
- Alternatives to cloud based storage?
- How do you do online strategic grassroots fundraising?
- How can I start a crowd funding campaign?
- Whats the best tool for a crowdfunding campaign?
- How can youth media organizations gain money and financial support? Long term? Small, isolated community
- How much should we invest into media equipment/software? why?
- How can nonprofits engage more staff & members in content strategy? (websites, social media, emails, etc.)
- How can my organization pay for tech/website help when we have trouble paying our rent?
- Is there a way for prospective grantees to apply for grants online and they still get a copy of their submitted grant and you get an easy to read format for your grant review board? (which also reads paper application)
- Tools to evaluate the effectiveness of your outreach
- Social enterprises will innovate how we create social justice movements
- What are the ongoing needs of activiists and nonprofits?
- How does your organization measure their success of your goal or mission? (i.e. are we helping the homeless?)
- What can the federal government do to support nonprofits or remove barriers to success?
- How can an organization in a small, isolated community gain support from other areas?
- How can we improve communication and sharing of information between governement and community organizations?
- How should/can large technology companies help nonprofits?
- How govt & community organizations can work better together?
- What digital tools are available to “hyperlocalize” large data sets?
- What digital tools are best for policy advocacy at the local level?
- How do you determine what is worth keeping and when cleaning up your documents/files?
- Make time and sense of analytics (google & social media) and knowing what to do with it?
- What are best practices for “migrating” data bases?
- How do you move from a local constituent database to a cloud based CRM? budget? considerations? pros/cons?
- Where can I get support for using ACCESS in my org?
- How to democratize technoloyg creation?
- What's a good online collaboration platform should I use for multi-lingual, statewide, grassroots coalition?
- How can my dissertation on climate change policy and environmental advocacy in CA be useful to activists?
- What are the ways to measure engagement in our network?
- How can my San Juaquin Valley environmental-justice news feed & archive be more useful to EJ organizations/advocates?
- Best way to work together virtually – tools, etc?
- How to connect local & global perspectives?
- What are the best ways to keep our events attendees engaged after events?
- How to get such energy flowing in an online conference?
- Alternatives to nonprofit as an organizational structure
- How to bring marginalized communities into mainstream? e.g. deaf-blind cognitively challenged
- How do I justify to my boss the importance of social media?
- How can we use social networks to push social justice media campaigns?
- How much time should we invest in social media with purpose of courting partners?
- How much time should I dedicate to social media?
- How do you expand more on social media & make it more collaborative between partners, and sponsors, etc?
- When multiple people are in charge of your social media accounts, how can you be sure they are all on the same message? branding?
- How important is twitter?
- How to publish with exceptions so I don't have to create separate social accounts
- How do we moderate social media & negative feedback/messages?
- How to manage social media and still do all the other work?
- How can organizations help youth with literacy & democracy while using social media?
- How do we effectively use social media without wasting time?
- How to incorporate social media effectively in an organization?
- How to maximize your social media work for on the ground effect?
- How do you get your staff invested in using social media?
- How to effectively use social media to reach out to youth?
- Finding efficient ways for updating social media.
- What's the best way to track issues that I'm interested in online now that Netvibes doesn't work as well with Googles RSS alerts?
- What technology will make e-newsletters more user-friendly & efficient?
- How do you get posted in the iTunes store?
- How do we make sure our digital strategies are conducive to serving our communities?
- How can we embrace new tech without jeopardizing jobs?
Software & Tech Support
- How can we get reliable & affordable tech support?
- I want to share about techsoup.org and raft.net & how to get in-kind donations
- What frustrates you (nonprofits) about your techies/ your tech support?
- What are strategies for organizing volunteers?
- How do we make using volunteers meaningful & effective?
- What is the best way to manage and maintain volunteer support?
- How can I effectively create & manage an unpaid internship program to increase staff resources?
- Can techhelp recruit, track and run efficiently?
- How can I find reliable volunteers to do tech work?
- What's the best way to get tech volunteers?
Web Hosting & ISPs
- What are the best free website hosting?
- Ideal Service Providers? What are ISPS? Internet Service Providers...
- How to create an online tutorial for basic computer learners? $0 budget?
- What are tools that we can use to talk between board members or volunteers using technology?
- How do you effectively use search engines for nonprofit resources?
- What are the best practices for custom coding that are least likely to break a wordpress updates all the time?
- How do I supervise/hire a coder to do the wordpress updates well.
- What are best-practices in building bilingual websites?
- I've got a wordpress site... what do I do next?
- What's possible to do for free, in terms of making a website? (free like beer or puppies?)
- Where do you find a starter kit for social media & website mgmt?
User-friendly & accessible websites
- What are best-practices for creating user-friendly websites?
- How do you change a flash website into a useable website?
- How to get started on your web project and how to develop a budget for it?
- How can I make my blog a general resource for nonprofits?
- What type of info would you want from a nonprofit centered blog?
- Should we use a wordpress site or have someone build something just for us?
- What website platform is easiest to keep up for a small nonprofit?
- What are the best content management systems for nonprofits?
- How do we use data to effectively communicate our message and reach our target audience?
- I have a lot of compiled data. How do I present it visually on a map and or an analysis platform?
- How do I promote activism through ant?
- What are best practices to capture/document institutional memory? (log-ins, passwords, etc.)
- How do groups communicate graphically across platforms?
- How to utilize video storytelling more effectively?
- Storytelling best practices in the digital age?
- How do I craft an online presence that stands our and draws people to my event/performance?