2015 Bakersfield Agenda
The following is the working agenda for the California Nonprofit Technology Leadership Summit on July 30 - 31, 2015 near Bakersfield, California.
- The agenda is designed with a combination of planned sessions and participant-driven discussions, and is very likely to evolve through the course of the event.
- There are no presentations or panels. The event will instead be focused instead on being fully interactive through collaborative sessions and focused dialogues.
- The goal is to enable peer learning, address participant needs and questions, and surface both the tacit and active knowledge of this group of practitioners. Bring your stories, your ideas, your questions, and your knowledge to share!
We'd love to hear what you are thinking. If there is a session or discussion you would like to facilitate, feel free to be in touch with us.
The CA Tech Fest is an immersive experience to expand and strengthen the network of leaders in rural and urban areas through out California who are passionate about social justice and technology.
Session times will change, session titles will morph, new sessions will come and existing ones will go. But this is the latest we know, and we invite your feedback and contributions.
- 1 Wednesday, July 29, 2015
- 2 Thursday, July 30, 2015
- 2.1 8:30am - Coffee and Registration
- 2.2 9:00am - Welcome and Opening Circle
- 2.3 9:30am - Interactive Participant Plenary
- 2.4 10:30am - Break
- 2.5 10:45 am - Agenda Framing discussions
- 2.6 11:45 am - Intro breakout discussions
- 2.7 12:30pm - Lunch
- 2.8 1:30pm - Mapping Your Journey
- 2.9 2:00pm - Interactive Project Farmer's Market Around the State
- 2.10 3:15pm - Closing Circle
- 2.11 4:00pm - Adjourn day one
- 2.12 4:30pm - Post-event dinner and drinks
- 3 Friday, July 31, 2015
- 3.1 8:30pm - Coffee and light breakfast
- 3.2 9:00pm - Opening Circle
- 3.3 9:30pm - Peer Skill-Sharing Sessions
- 3.4 10:30pm - Break
- 3.5 10:45pm - Collaborative Breakout Sessions
- 3.6 12:30pm - Lunch
- 3.7 1:30pm - Collaborative Breakout Sessions
- 3.8 2:30pm - Break
- 3.9 2:45pm - Where From Here
- 3.10 3:15pm - Closing Circle and Appreciations
- 3.11 4:00pm - Adjourn
Wednesday, July 29, 2015
6:30pm - Out-of-town participants start to arrive
Optional dinner available for arriving attendees at the venue.
Thursday, July 30, 2015
8:30am - Coffee and Registration
9:00am - Welcome and Opening Circle
The event will start with introductions and welcomes, an overview of the agenda and guidelines, and announcements.
- Leverage technology in social justice efforts
- Strengthen network of urban and rural leaders
- Share knowledge and experiences in social justice and technology
- Co-create and explore opportunities to collaborate post-event
- Answer any questions participants may have
9:30am - Interactive Participant Plenary
Participants will engage in an interactive and collaborative discussion. Outcomes will inform sessions and topics of discussion for the rest of the day.
10:30am - Break
10:45 am - Agenda Framing discussions
Working in small and large group formats, participants will discuss "big picture" issues relating to technology and social justice in California. From there, they will brainstorm specific topics to be revisited in subsequent working sessions as well as in post-event efforts. The goal of the session will be to generate a visualization of the state of the field, and enable participants to weigh on which topics are most promising for focus and further discussion during the remainder of the event.
11:45 am - Intro breakout discussions
- Collaboration and Community with Katie
- Youth Engagement with Sergio
- Intro to Digital Storytelling with Maegan and Amanda
- Education and Technology in Rural Communities with Melissa
- Environmental Science and Technology with Angelica
12:30pm - Lunch
Participants will be encouraged to sit with friends they have not yet met!
1:30pm - Mapping Your Journey
2:00pm - Interactive Project Farmer's Market Around the State
Participants will share work they are doing or topics they are working on in their various regions and fields.
- Design Action - William
- IDEPSCA - Maegan
- Dolores Huerta Foundation - Melissa and Elizabeth
- Adaptive bilingual community outreach checklist - JC
- Online and offline Organizing: Tips for working in a low tech-environment - Javier
- Making Data Matter : Center for Regional Change - Sergio
- Digital Action Hub : DAHub - Angelica
3:15pm - Closing Circle
4:00pm - Adjourn day one
4:30pm - Post-event dinner and drinks
Friday, July 31, 2015
8:30pm - Coffee and light breakfast
9:00pm - Opening Circle
9:30pm - Peer Skill-Sharing Sessions
Participants will have an opportunity to share or learn tactical technology and campaigning skills in small group format.
- Project Management
- Taking a photo with DSLR camera
- Public Speaking
- Get more likes on social media
- Tai Chi and Meditation
- Online communications
- Introduction to Linux
- HTML The Lazy Way
- Collaborative Design Process
- Photoshop 101
- Youth Media
- Build a Social Media Presence
- Sharing participatory mapping skills
- Batch File Operations : Shortcuts on Apple
10:30pm - Break
10:45pm - Collaborative Breakout Sessions
Participants will choose from 5-7 working groups, and will be welcome to suggest or request additional sessions.
- Data Visualization with Amanda
- Building a Youth Media Team with Max
- Meaningful Volunteers and Internships with Nasma
- Online Communications for Organizers with Javier
- Open Source Tools for Nonprofits with JC
- Funding Unsexy Tech with Misty
12:30pm - Lunch
1:30pm - Collaborative Breakout Sessions
Participants will choose from 5-7 session topics, and will be welcome to suggest or request additional sessions.
- IT for Nonprofits with Bruce
- Technology for Movements with Javier
- Organizing in Rural Communities with Yesenia
- Knowing your Capacity with Thomas
- Privacy and Security: What we're talking about with Nasma
- Collaborative Design with William
2:30pm - Break
2:45pm - Where From Here
The group will pause to take stock of the progress made to this point and to inventory action items, next steps, and other bridges to post-event collaborations.
3:15pm - Closing Circle and Appreciations
4:00pm - Adjourn
Aspiration will provide transit to the train or bus for Friday night departure